Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The background

A few months ago a friend pointed out that it was possible to buy plans and kits online to build Open (Canadian) canoes. Having been on a few open canoe trips previously and keen for a bit of a challenge I decided to construct a plywood Canadian canoe.

A quick search on google revealed several suppliers of plans. The website which I took most notice of was Selway Fisher. They produce and sell plans for a number of different types of craft including a range of canoes. After reading the information on their site I ordered plans for a Selway Fisher Prospector Canoe.

I also came across another blog which describes the construction of such a boat. Reading this blog gave me the idea to blog my own efforts!!

I have had the plans for about one month now and plan to begin construction within the next few weeks.

On Monday I finally got round to ordering the plywood. Initially I had some difficulty sourcing marine grade 6mm ply locally. Much to my surprise my local Jewson had some sheets in stock costing about £17 ex vat per sheet. I'm expecting delivery on Friday.

I'm planning to use a 6m x 4m marquee in my parents garden to build the canoe in. I have a couple of patio heaters to try and keep it warm enough for the epoxy to cure (fingers crossed). Hopefully i will have some pictures of the tent soon.

My first task is to build a suitable work surface. I have bought 2 sheets of chipboard flooring (2ft x 8ft). I'm planning to use framing timber to make some trestles to support the board.Hopefullyy this will give me the option of having a 2ft x 16ft workbench or a 4ft x 8ft one. Again pictures to follow.

No comments: