Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tales of Woe


Ok folks sorry for the delay in posting (I had computer issues). Using another computer now so it’s all good.

I have now managed to complete all the taping on the outside. This is not as easy a job as it sounds and too be honest I’m not 100% happy with the job as there are quite a few runs. I’m hopeful that with a light sanding it will look a lot better. Having completed the external taping I removed the moulds and turned the boat the right way up.



I still had a little filleting inside to do from the areas where the moulds and cable ties had been. In my infinite wisdom I decided that I would try and fit the gunwhales on the same day (with retrospect this may have been a bad idea). I used my router to create a round edge on the wood prior to fitting. Previous attempts to join the wood together prior to fitting had failed so I decided to join then in-situ. I started in the middle of the boat and worked along using clamps for positioning then securing the gunwhale with brass screws from inside. It was all going well until the end where I should have used steam / boiling water to soften to wood to make it easier to bend, in my rush I decided not to do this so the gunwhales were about 3mm below the upper edge of the ply. However I have since discovered that the old 40 grit sandpaper on the orbital makes quick work of the 3mm of plywood!!! The joins in the wood are not perfect I should have used scarf joints but I just could not get these to work, in the end I opted for a mitre cut- which once filled will hopefully give a satisfactory appearance. My sister helped out with fitting the rest of the gunwhales which was a big help. Also managed to crack one of the bits of wood but I think it will glue together without too much problem.




Spent today sanding down the inside of the hull- hard work. Managed the front half but will try and finish the rear half tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just about to start on a Waterman 16, I am watching your progress with great interest.
I am intending to use wire ties to hold it together and then fillet over them, cutting the ends off and then filling the holes with thickened epoxy.
Couple of questions, how is the epoxy working in the slightly colder temperatures we are currently experiencing (going to be building in a garage in Cornwall)?
How did you go about your stitches (leave them in, take them out, wire, cable ties?)
Best of luck

Cheers

Johnny
john@oink.co.uk

The Ginger Toothpick said...

In answer to your question i used 2.5mm cable ties to hold the plywood together. I then used epoxy with high density filler (the stuff that says its for filleting)to fillet the seems inside and out between the cable ties. I then removed the ties and filled in the remaining holes.

With regrds the temperature i was using a 1kw electric heater overnight in the tent. During the day use a patio heater. Just watch if you increase the ambient temp after epoxy aplication as ity makes it more likely to run. I'm about to move to my garage as I think it will allow a better varnish finish.

Ally